Benefit x Saladbox July 2016 Review


Subscription boxes have always intrigued me ever since I've learned of them - to get surprise items worth more than I paid for delivered to my door every month - hey, sign me up! My first ever subscription box was the BYS Matte Maven from Glamourbox. It was a happy experience for me and it left me itching to try out other local subscription boxes. From the competition, Saladbox stood out to me with its very affordable price tag compared to other beauty boxes.

When Saladbox  announced their comeback early this year, I immediately snagged their 3-month starter plan. I got the March Benefit x Saladbox, April VMV Hypoallergenics x Saladbox and the May-June Va-va-voom Box. For only 1500 php (+ shipping fee), I'd say I totally got my money's worth!



For July's box, they were partnering again with Benefit and this time, they're featuring products from their brow collection. I was actually on the fence about renewing my Saladbox subscription due to Saladbox's delivery delays but what can I do? I immediately renewed my subscription and upgraded to the 6-month plan! Hahaha! Benefit is just one of those brands I dearly love and I can't miss this!

Heeeyyyyyy, lots of new products to try. I love it <3
I was excited because according to their July sneak peak video, we are to receive three samples from their Browzam collection plus two other samples for over 3,000 php worth of total value. I really wanted to try their Benetint but I'm pretty happy with the items I got. This is my July loot: 

July Beauty & Brown Saladbox - I love that they included this product info!

Benefit Gimme Brow Fiber Gel (1g sample)

"Everyone's cult-favorite contains microfibers that adhere to skin and hairs, creating natural-looking fullness and definition. Apply using short strokes to define shape, then comb through with the custom, tiny tapered brush to blend and build. Full size, Php 1,400"
Ooooh, their packaging always look so pretty. I see you. Now about Gimme Brow - first thing that greeted me when I opened it is the scent. It smells really unpleasant? I don't know how to describe it but it smells like fruit/vegetable peels that is left too long out in the open? I don't see any kind of fragrance in the ingredients list (at least those that I know of) so I think that is just its natural smell.

I used it in my brows and yeah, it did its job. It thickened and lengthened some of my eyebrows. However, it didn't do much in my eyebrow tail area - nothing to stick into I guess.

Will I buy this product in full size? No. After using this, I still need to line and shape my eyebrows and that just adds another step to my routine. I'm all about convenience and quick results. It was fun trying this though.

Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil (0.03g sample)

"Great brows have never been easier, girlfriend! Apply using the custom, non-sharpen "goof-proof" pencil tip, then blend with the spoolie-brush for that "real life" brow magic. Full size, Php 1,400"
Oh, how I love this pencil! I'm a newbie at makeup and I find this extremely easy to use. I use the pointed end for lining, the wide tip for filling, blend a little bit and voila -brows done! Really, I can't stress how easy it is to fill & shape the brows using this pencil. The pencil glides on easily, color is good and natural-looking and the 12-hour waterproof  formula is a cherry on top. Yes, I am in love. You can see how fast I worn out the sample hahaha! There is more left in the sample but I can't figure out how to push the product out.

Will I buy this in full size? Hell yeah! At Php 1,400 for the full size (0.34g), this pencil is quite pricey but I think it is worth every single peso. I can see this becoming a staple everyday product for me. 

Benefit KaBROW! Cream Gel Brow Color (1g sample)

"Ready for some brow magic? This all-in-one eyebrow cream-gel easily fills, sculpts and defines brows.
Presto - extra precision and control! Plus, 24-hour waterproof wear! Full size, Php 1,400"
This another hit for me! I love this too! The brush is tapered, very thin at the tip and has very stiff bristles. Dip it in the cream gel, use it to line and then fill the brows up! This cream gel is very pigmented. Just a little bit is enough to color in my brows.

Will I buy this in full size? Yes, if I have the moolah. Honestly, I can do without this item (the Goof Proof pencil is more than enough tbh) but if I have spare cash, I will certainly buy this again!

A little comparison of the three brow products:
pics taken outside in daylight. no, this is not a spider
Apologies for my dismal eyebrow skills - hahaha!  If you look at the start of my eyebrows, you can clearly see the Gimme Brow Fiber Gel working its magic. The hairs were longer and looks thicker. The KaBrow Cream Gel also delivered great color payoff. And lastly, the star of the night! Just one look at Goof Proof Pencil's result makes it clear why it's my favorite of the bunch. Now, on to the last two items!

Hoola Zero Tan Lines Body Bronzer (15ml sample)

"This smooth, non-sticky body bronzer glides and blends on instantly and seamlessly for a thoroughly believable bronze. Squeeze gel body bronzer onto sponge. Apply to arms and legs in broad circular strokes for an instant goddess glow. Full size, Php 1,800"
Hmmmm. My face, neck, arms, legs and feet don't match in skin tone and frankly, I am searching for that one perfect whitening product to even out my skin tone. I don't see the point of applying bronzers on my body but curiosity got the best of me, haha
1 - bare skin, 2 - product applied, 3 - after one coat of the bronzer
after three coats of Benefit Hoola Body Bronzer 
The bronzer is gel-like in consistency and applies smoothly. I initially used my fingers to apply but some of the areas remained patchy. Using the sponge really helped in distributing the product evenly. As you can see from the pics above, one coat of the product is not enough. The product looks like it just disappeared. Good thing the pigment is buildable. I layered 3 coats and the result is a very natural looking tan.

Will I buy this in full size? Probably not, but if you are looking for something to give you a summer glow, then this product is for you.

Benefit Dr. Feelgood Mattifying Balm Primer (2g sample)

"This invisible balm mattifies shine, leaving skin feeling silky soft. Smooth under or over makeup with its accompanying sponge. Or, simply wear it alone. For touch-ups, press the balm onto your skin. Full size, Php 1,700"
Ooooohhh, a primer! How can a balm be a primer? Won't your face be oily? Won't you feel greasy? I got a lot of questions. I'll review this primer in another blog post. Watch out for it!

Update: I used this balm as a primer but I broke out the next day. I haven't used it again since. I'm not sure if this is the product that made me break out since I was trying another new product at the same time. I think I'll  give this another chance eventually.

Sooo, was the July 2016 Benefit Box worth it?

I don't want to be that gal but I did the math. LOL

Gimme Brow 3g full size =1,400php (1g sample ≈ 467 php)
Goof Proof Brow Pencil 0.34g full size = 1,400php (0.03 sample ≈ 140 php)
KaBROW! Cream Gel Brow Color 3g full size = 1,400php (1g sample ≈ 467 php)
Hoola Zero Tan Lines Allover Body Bronzer 147ml full size = 1,800php (15ml sample ≈ 184php)
Dr. Feelgood Mattifying Balm Primer 24g full size = 1,700php (2.0g sample ≈ 142php)
Benefit One-on-One Brow & Beauty Session - 500php

Not gonna count the value of the One-on-One Brow & Beauty Session since I don't have the chance to use it. The full value of my July 2016 Saladbox is Php 1,400.00. Not bad! Monetary value aside, I sincerely love this box! There is another Benefit box coming out in celebration of Saladbox's 4th anniversary on September. Hopefully, it will be awesome like this one!

Have you tried any of the Benefit products above? What is your experience like?







Check out Saladbox: Facebook, Twitter, Website, Instagram
Check out Benefit Cosmetics: Facebook, Twitter, Website, Instagram
Check me out: Twitter, Instagram

Disclaimer: The featured product/s in this post is not sponsored in any way. Any judgment given on said product/s is entirely my own honest and unbiased opinion.